[free-sklyarov] Sklyarov still in Las Vegas

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Wed Jul 18 15:11:50 PDT 2001

begin  The ASCII Floating Head of Seth David Schoen quotation:
> He says that it is important to find local (Bay Area) people who
> could vouch for Sklyarov -- to counter the flight risk problem at
> the bail hearing.  If anyone has contacts in the local Russian
> community or knows of people in California with a connection to
> Sklyarov, please contact Lee Tien at EFF.

I have lost touch, but I used to have some contact with the Russian
community in San Francisco.  If pushed, I could call up some people I
used to know and try to figure out where to look.  These folks are
probably kind of mad that I lost touch, though.

It should be helpful to find out Dimitry's father's name.  Russians
refer to people with a patronymic called "ochestvo" (pronounced
OH-chest-vuh).  Family names are usually reserved for official
communications and public figures, and many people won't know the
family name of their friends and neighbors.

At any rate, it makes it easier to refer to him in conversation.

Also, some people may know him as "Dima", which is a nickname for
Dimitry.

> Bail for foreign nationals is apparently quite difficult and
> connections in the local area are important.

It may be easier to try and look in the other direction: find out from
Dimitry's friends and family in Russia the names of anyone in the US
who could vouch for him.  Then ask those people if they know anyone in
the San Francisco Bay Area.

--
You are not entitled to your opinions.

	01234567 <- The amazing* indent-o-meter!