[free-sklyarov] [adhoc_it_union] ISSUES to address

Jon O . jono at microshaft.org
Wed Jul 18 22:00:54 PDT 2001

The Sklyarov issue should serve to move people to action.
The fact that he was arrested for research should scare
quite a few security people and consumers because there is
a law against what amounts to peer review.

The arrest of Sklyarov should be protested. However, the
solution is not just to get him released, but to call for
review of the law that was used to arrest him in the first
place.

There is a large group of people who do not understand
the Sklyarov issue and think it is analogous to Napster.
We know it is not, however we are the few. The few need to
educate the many and strong action must be taken.

IT Workers currently have no organization representing
them as most other large groups of workers do. Even
writers for sitcoms have a group which can speak on
their behalf. The EFF does a great job speaking to the
laws and creating change, however workers as a group
need to stand up and show their support of the EFF by more
then just sending money (which you should do), but by
action. Actions speak louder than words -- even words that
make up laws.

This is just a small step toward creating a common place
to express and account for our concerns. Most IT workers
could have/did read the DMCA and know it was a bad idea.
However, there was no way for us the express this concern
to the general public and government.

A group should work on getting Sklyarov out of jail, but
another group needs to work on getting rid of the law. For
the People, By the People is long gone. Adobe essentially
issued an arrest warrant. That should scare everyone.

If the DCMA wasn't a law, Sklyarov would be free and
authors would know their books were that much more
secure.

So, I guess a sick day to protest the DMCA has quite
a bit to do with the Dmitry Sklyarov issue.

We need you: