[free-sklyarov] Adobe Divestment? I think not...

Joe Barr warthawg at ecpi.com
Thu Jul 19 06:03:21 PDT 2001

It seems to me that we are chasing the wrong monster.  Adobe is a symptom,
the DMCA is the problem.  We should focus more on ways to get it repealed,
rather than work solely to spotlight Adobe's stupidity and greed.  Those
two traits are always going to be a part of the human condition, but the
DMCA doesn't have to be.

See ya,
Joe Barr

On Thu, 19 Jul 2001 08:48:22 -0400
David HM Spector <spector at zeitgeist.com> wrote:

> Before anyone flames me... read on:
>
> The best way to hurt Adobe for their asinine and short-sighted attacks
> on the software community is make their PR life so painful they have
> no choice but to back down and even apologize.
>
> DO NOT to divest yourself of Adobe stock, but rather hold your stock,
> and if you don't own any, call (or click over to) your broker and buy
> 1 (one) share of Adobe stock.
>
> We as a community of shareholders can file class-action suits against
> the company.  The power of a few hundred thousand software developers
> cannot be trifled with --- especially if we keep this event in the
> news.
>
> Next, what we need are a few lawyers (is the EFF listening) who will
> work with all these newly minted Adobe shareholder to (legally -- no
> stupid pet trick, please) hound Adobe's management.
>
> Divenstments don't work -- big companies don't care if you divest
> because the majority of people will NOT divest.  They DO care about
> bad press and angry, volcal politically active share-holders.
>

> Oh, and of course, you should call you congress-folk can tell them to
> get on teh DoJ/FBI's case about this issue.  Congress people a re
> especially afraid of vocal constituents.
>
> .... thoughts?  Feedback?
>
> David
> David HM Spector                        Network Design & Infrastructure Security
> spector at zeitgeist.com               -or-                     spector at spector.com
>
> 	       Amateur Radio: W2DHM (ARRL life member)
> Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who
> dare not, are slaves.     -George Gordon Noel Byron [a.k.a Lord Byron](1788-1824)

#  Boycott Adobe!   Repeal the DMCA!  Free Sklyarov! #