[free-sklyarov] picketting Adobe?

Dave Sherohman esper at sherohman.org
Thu Jul 19 07:24:05 PDT 2001

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 04:44:09PM -0700, Nick Moffitt wrote:
> 	To avoid a whiney picket march, we should do something clever
> for the press to write about.  I haven't got any ideas off the top of
> my head, but here are a few musings:

You're right - the press is a lot more interested in the odd or the
sensational rather than Yet Another Protest.

Cue protest story from my old college roommate:

Back in the late 80s, protesting against the war in El Salvador was the
thing to do.  Tom didn't have any problems with it and he just liked to
mess with the sorts of people who were protesting, so he got a couple of
his friends together and set up a protest against lime Jell-O(TM) across
the street from a major El Salvador protest.

A couple hundred people holding a serious protest in support of a popular
cause on one side of the street.  A half-dozen wackos claiming that their
mothers had been killed by lime-flavored gelatin on the other.  Guess who
got all the press coverage?  The ones that seemed more "interesting".

Plain old protests can work, but, these days, they're plain and they're
old.  Something creative (no, sorry - I don't have any suggestions) can
be a lot more effective with a lot fewer people involved.