[free-sklyarov] Thought for a slogan

Andrea andrea at gravitt.org
Thu Jul 19 07:48:40 PDT 2001

EFF has been using "Coding is not a crime" on their bumperstickers, which I
like. One of these days I will actually put it on my vehicle, although the
impact is severely limited by the fact that I more often take the bus.
(Hence, interest in small stickers.)

I'm thinking of something that connects Free Speech (a bedrock of
Constitutional Law but sadly, as a Comic Book Legal Defense Fund t-shirt put
it, "Void where Prohibited") with the ability to engage in research without
corporate-backed government interference. Basically, it is not a stretch to
see how enforcing the DMCA in this way prohibits objective evaluation of
digital products and services and hurts end users.

Before DMCA, individuals and companies have used bad laws or specious
"crimes" to harass anybody they didn't like. This is now just another tool
that is available for their use. (The organization mentioned above was the
result of action after a drastic governmental crackdown on an individual for
going about his daily business. An artist was convicted of producing obscene
comic strips and ordered to not draw.)

Andrea