[free-sklyarov] Adobe Divestment? I think not...

David HM Spector spector at zeitgeist.com
Thu Jul 19 08:24:59 PDT 2001

>You are right, but the first order of business is getting Dmitry freed. If
>we apply pressure to Adobe and get them to drop the charges, his release
>is almost certain.

That is indeed a VERY good goal... HOWEVER, its out of the hands of
"the rest of us" and firmly in the hands of his family, his lawyers
and the EFF.

In fact, too much noise on the part of well-intentioned activists will
most likely harden the resolve of the DoJ/FBI and the judge in the
case and guarantee that he remains incarcerated.

A better stragegy is the turn up the heat on Adobe and other companies
that are using the DMCA by making the environment too painful for
them.  The best way, as said when starting this thread, is to hurt
them with the once voice they listen to: the shareholder.

As for all of the other, very traditional prtest mechanisms that
people are suggesting, I think that they should wake up and smell the
media boredom.  This ain't the 1960s.  The media -- who owns large
stakes in a lot of these companies -- are on to those tricks and could
care less about our .sig lines, our cutsey-politically-active
bumper-stickers and our quaint righteous indignation.

I couldn't but it better than the master himself, Tom Lehrer...

_DHMS