[free-sklyarov] picketting Adobe?

Robert Lemos robert at infoserf.net
Thu Jul 19 10:27:04 PDT 2001

Klepht:

This issue here is not that Adobe wants to take away your rights, but
that your rights have already been curtailed as appled to digital media
by the DMCA.

While IANAL (but I do cover this area), in Universal v. Reimerez et al.,
the court ruled that the Fair Use provisions in the Audio Home Recording
Act do not trump the DMCA, but just the opposite. That Congress, in
passing the DMCA, decided to apply the fair use provisions in a narrower
context, so in passing the DMCA, Congress essentially decided -- whether
it was their intent or not -- to reduce the fair-use rights of citizens.

Not to make excuses for Adobe, but the company is just using one of the
available tools out there to reduce competition in the market for their
products. That's what business is all about. They have a right to do
that under the law.

While the bad publicity, may get them to withdraw from the case, which
could -- and I repeat, could -- cause the DOJ to drop the case (since
their main witness would be gone), that still leaves the fair-use
restrictions of the DMCA in place.

As unfeeling as this may sound, it would seem to me that the best
interest of citizens would be served if all three cases -- Universal v.
Reimerez et al., Felton v. RIAA et al. and U.S. DOJ v. Sklyarov -- got
tried, went to appeal and then ended up in front of the Supreme court.

In no other way, except if Congress passes a law that trumps the DMCA,
will the domain of the fair-use provisions be expanded.

-R

---
Robert Lemos
Technical writer