[free-sklyarov] Summary to date: Action points ??

Keith A. Glass salgak at speakeasy.net
Thu Jul 19 07:13:00 PDT 2001

<note to moderator: I submitted this earlier from my work account: feel free to ignore it...>

1. Dmitri is in jail, location unknown but likely either Las Vegas or in the
Bay Area.

2. He's being held incommunicado, even with the Consulate of the Russian
Federation, in violation of the Vienna Convention (21 U.S.T. at 77).

3. Adobe Corporation is presumed to have started this whole mess.

4. US media coverage, outside of the Net/Geek/Hacker press has pretty
much ignored this.

If this is a correct summary, we need an action plan.

Suggestions:

1. NYC people: somebody needs to call the UN Mission of the Russian
Federation/ Russian Consulate. I've seen comments for the SF Consulate
and the Embassy here in DC, but getting UN involvement.  And NYC action
gets national press coverage a lot faster.

2.  We need press in overseas capitals as well.  With Bush in London today,
we need the UK press to hit this hard tomorrow.  If it's on the front page of
the Times of London and the Observer, it will have impact.

3. The G-8 meeting this weekend: have no details, but obviously pinging
the State Departments/equivalent of the G-8 members may have an effect.

CAVEAT:  Flames do no good here.  Quiet, reasoned, POLITE logic is the
path to follow here, otherwise, we'll be lumped in with the anarchists and other
protesters setting up for the G-8 this weekend, AND WILL BE IGNORED.

IF we want Dmitri freed, we have to work INSIDE the system. . .

Just my 2 cents' worth. . . .