[free-sklyarov] Some Adobe substitutes

Michael C. Smith maxomai at aracnet.com
Thu Jul 19 15:53:47 PDT 2001

Here's a list of sites for some Adobe substitutes:

The GIMP: a full-blown graphics editing program released under
the General Public License. GIMP graphics tend to have a distinctive
look (that I like).

http://www.gimp.org/

TeX: Industrial strength publishing software (think math books).
Output formats include dvi, pdf(!!) and html. There's a whole mess of
web pages on the software available at
http://dir.yahoo.com/Computers_and_Internet/Desktop_Publishing/TeX/

The TeX users group web page can be found at
http://www.tug.org/ ... lots of handly links here.

xpdf is a PDF reader for the X Windowing System. Experimental
versions exist for DOS/Windows.
http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf/

There's probably more out there...please let us know if
you know of more.

Mike Smith

----- End forwarded message -----