[free-sklyarov] Ashcroft in Mountain View, 20 July

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Fri Jul 20 00:50:56 PDT 2001

On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, Christopher R. Maden wrote:
> Did anyone else notice this on cryptome.org?

I believe we discussed this a bit earlier.

> Washinton, DC -- Attorney General John Ashcroft will visit Northern
> California tomorrow, Friday, July 20, to discuss cybercrime issues.
>
> When:   11:115AM (Pacific Time), Friday, July 20
>
> What:   Attorney General News Conference
>          Regarding Cybercrime
>
> Where:  VeriSign Worldwide Headquarters
>          487 East Middlefield Road
>          Mountain View, CA

My question is: WHY THE HELL is the Attorney General speaking about
"cybercrime" at the headquarters to a PRIVATE CORPORATION?!?

This corporation doesn't have the public's best interest in mind when it
makes policies and should have no more right to direct consultation with
our executives than any REAL PERSON in this country (personally, I'd argue
that it has LESS right than a real person, being a legal fiction and all).

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin
    jeme at brelin.net