[free-sklyarov] 400 subscribers; demonstration publicity

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Fri Jul 20 05:13:35 PDT 2001

I'm pleased to announce that this mailing list has now reached 400
subscribers.  I hope the high volume of list traffic is not too
intimidating; I'm pretty confident that things will settle down a bit
once Mr. Sklyarov is transferred and arraigned and once his legal
counsel situation is clear.

EFF has undertaken some heroic publicity efforts to let people know
about the demonstration at Adobe on Monday, and the parallel events.
Special thanks are due to Will Doherty, Stanton McCandlish, and the
other EFF staff who got a very professional alert and media release
out quickly.

Alert (for prospective participants):

http://www.eff.org/alerts/20010719_eff_sklyarov_alert.html

Media release (for journalists):

http://www.eff.org/IP/DMCA/US_v_Sklyarov/20010719_eff_sklyarov_pr.html

The EFF has already submitted the release to its press list, so it is
probably not necessary for you to send it to newspapers (or radio or
TV stations).  The EFF press list is, according to Will, extremely
extensive.

If you personally know newspaper reporters or other journalists who
cover technology, politics, Bay Area events (or local events in the
place where you are), please do let these reporters know about what's
happening.  (If you are a co-ordinator for an area, please do be honest
and up front with reporters about how many people you expect; I'd hate
to see a reporter expect 100 people at some Adobe branch office and then
write about how only 8 people showed up.)

If you are on mailing lists or if you read news web sites where this
announcement is relevant and where it has not yet appeared, _please
submit it_.  Possible constituencies of interest could include
electronic publishing and desktop publishing, legal, Linux and free
software, programmers, civil liberties, computer security, and academic
communities, and whatever angle drew you here in the first place.

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org>  | And do not say, I will study when I