[free-sklyarov] any New York action planned?

Klepht klepht at eleutheria.org
Fri Jul 20 10:57:01 PDT 2001

    LG> I can be a contact person if we try to organize a protest. I
    LG> think we need to do it on Monday, together with the protests
    LG> in other cities. I cannot find Adobe office in New Yor, do
    LG> anybody know if they are here? Do we need to file a permit
    LG> with the mayors office or police department? I have no
    LG> experience organizing this kind of events, so I would
    LG> appreciate any help.

Leonid, You can do this! Go go go! We need you in New York!

First thing is: pick that spot mentioned (Adobe) and put your name up
as the contact. Get that to EFF RIGHT AWAY, because they need it.

1) Pick a time, place, and agenda. I think you've got this, so get it
   announced!

2) ANNOUNCE it as far as you can. Getting it out TODAY, RIGHT NOW is a
   good thing, because it's last day people are going to be looking at
   the Web or email for a while. I bet if you get it out today,
   people can put it up on EFF in a few hours.

3) When you announce, try and do it in an authoritative tone of
   voice. Not, "if people will come, I will." Say it like, "THIS WILL
   HAPPEN. This event is GOING OFF."

   You have to face the fact that you just may end up standing in the
   rain, by yourself, in your underwear, crying and handing out
   leaflets. It's like "Ghost Dog" -- once you face that, you can kick
   ass. It's the way of the Event Samurai!

   There have been at least three inquiries on the list today, so you
   won't be alone!

4) Give people stuff to bring and do, and a contact email/# to get to
   you.

5) Call the cops and tell them what's up. This will keep you from
   having a problem on the event day. For some reason, they usually
   don't care, but if someone complains they can sweep you along for
   not having notified them. <shrug> Go figure.

6) Hit as many announcement venues as you can. Try Linux Users' Groups
   or other computer users' groups, hipster lists (what's that thing
   -- the Rhizome list?), Web lists, etc. Do they have a Craig's List
   in NYC? Try the Craig's List, too.

7) Before the event, make these things: a whole bunch of copies of a
   flier -- I think Tabinda Khan is working on one, which should be
   really good. Also, make at least two picket signs. You can get
   poster board at Staples or Office Depot for like 1.39 for 10
   sheets. PERFECT. Make a couple, bring the rest of the paper for
   other people to make signs. (Oh, and some markers!).

   Also, bring a clipboard. I dunno why, but having a clipboard makes
   you look like you've got your shit together.

8) Try and synch up with the EFF to get press there. They can probably
   swing it.

9) At the event: hold up your sign. Pass out flyers. Towards the
   middle of the time period, give a little speech about Dmitry, if
   you feel like. Rally the troops. And then let them drift away.

That's it! It's that easy! You're totally able to pull it off, man!

You've GOT to make this happen! We really NEED someone in NYC!

~Klepht

klepht at eleutheria.org
http://www.eleutheria.org/