[free-sklyarov] OSCON San Diego action

Marc Perkel marc at perkel.com
Fri Jul 20 08:22:25 PDT 2001

Since Kevin and I are going to be there, I can say that I would be available to
be part of the panel. Perhaps we should also maybe throw together a one page
handout on the issue --- maybe something that can be added to the material
distributed to attendees.

Here's how I see this. The government is sending a message to the open source
community that they are willing to arrest and jail programmers for writing
tools -- as opposed to prosecuting those who use the tools illegally. It's
equivelent to arresting an assembly line worker at a hammer plant because the
hammer can be used to build an illegal structure. Do we want a world where
programmers have to wonder if they are going to be hauled off to jail. Under
these standards --- John Gillmore would certianly be a criminal for cracking
DES.

I am also offended over the jurisdictional issue. We in America are arresting a
Russian citizen for conduct that occurred in his own country that was lawful in
Russia. Who are we to declare that our laws apply to the entire planet and that
we have the right to arrest an punish people who are not citizens of our
country?

One could make an argument that if there were to be an arrest then it would be
the person directly involved with distribution the (illegal) program in America
in violation of American law. But this is a programmer who had nothing to do
with the distribution of this product here.

If we were to apply the "shoe on the other foot" test --- suppose an american
programmer were arrested in Saudi Arabia for writing a JPEG viewer that allowed
Saudi men to view naked women (naked meaning no veil on face). We would be
ready to go to war over the issue. Is every programmer and every webmaster who
puts anything on the internet to be subject to prosecution for violating any
law anywhere on the planet? I think not --- and I think that since this is a
personal attack against the open source community that it is our duty as open
source programmers (as you know --- I am also a programmer) to assert to the
United States that we will not accept this and we should draw a line in the
sand and tell the United States to back down.

Well --- I'm ranting now. --- My point --- I support action at OSCON - I will
be there - how can I be of service?