[free-sklyarov] Adobe Will Talk! July 23 Sklyarov Protest on Hold

Jay Sulzberger jays at panix.com
Fri Jul 20 13:57:55 PDT 2001

On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, Will Doherty wrote:

> I absolutely agree with you about keeping the momentum
> going... this is NOT about caving.
>
> This is about sane negotiation to get a guy out of jail.

Why do you believe Adobe?

They are proven liars about their encryption, and they are strong
supporters of the DMCA, and they started the action that put Dmitry in
jail.

No,  I am protesting on Monday.

> Please take a moment to really consider what the consequences
> can be.

There is no tactical advantage to us in stopping Monday's protest, and
much advantage to Adobe and the Copyright Englobulators of Earth.  Dmitry
will stay in jail longer if we back down.  And there can be no mistaking,
in our eyes, nor Adobe's, nor the media, that if we back down from the
Monday protest, we are indeed backing down.

Why should we be bought off by nothing?  Adobe has not gotten Dmitry out
of jail, nor paid him damages, nor helped us repeal the DMCA, which Adobe
helped get passed.

> And of course, we will still protest until the government
> no longer agrees to prosecute such anti-fair-use cases
> under the DMCA or until the DMCA is amended or judicially
> restricted so that such prosecutions can no longer occur.
>
> Will Doherty

Backing down is patently the wrong thing to do.

oo--JS.