[free-sklyarov] What Adobe says about Monday's meeting

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Fri Jul 20 14:17:22 PDT 2001

I'm writing an article for Wired News tomorrow on this, but since it
won't appear for over 12 hours, I thought I'd give you a sneak
preview.

I spoke at some length just now with Holly Campbell, Adobe's senior
manager for corporate PR and a very pleasant person. She confirmed the
meeting would take place on Monday.

Campbell called it "a mutual frank discussion about some of these
issues here. She said EFF wrote a letter to Adobe's corporate
counsel that said EFF would be "happy to hold off on the protests" in
exchange for a meeting. "What they did say in the letter to us is that
they'll make their best efforts to discourage the protests. It sounds
like they're holding up their end of the bargain," Campbell said.

I asked for a copy of the letter and she said she could not give it
to me since she thought it might be "privileged."

I asked her if there's a chance the meeting will lead to Adobe
withdrawing their complaint against Sklyarov. She replied: "I have no
idea. On that I couldn't comment, nor would I even if I knew the
answer.  The purpose of the discussions on Monday are just to have a
frank discussion of what the current issues are."

-Declan