[free-sklyarov] Re: URGENT: factioning...

tom moore tom at thinkpix.com
Fri Jul 20 20:06:53 PDT 2001

> Exactly.  It could really backfire, because the p.r. damage of the
> protests is a large part of what they are looking to avoid.  If you
> protest them anyway, they have much less of an incentive to yield on
> anything.

Wrong!  Adobe's trying to avoid the protest because it would be a p.r.
disaster.  If it doesn't happen, they've avoided having to address the issue
(at least for now, and later it will be "old news").

If it goes off, OTOH, Adobe will have to scramble to fix their public image.
*That's* the only way we could expect concrete results, and quickly.

In addition, it will make other companies think twice about using jackbooted
tactics like this, and with their support gone, it will also serve as a
fulcrum to get the DMCA the hell out of US law.
--
A man talking sense to himself is no madder
than a man talking nonsense not to himself.