[free-sklyarov] Fighting the DMCA

James S. Tyre jstyre at jstyre.com
Fri Jul 20 22:09:11 PDT 2001

At 01:05 AM 07/21/2001 -0400, Chad Horton wrote:
>I've had a thought that I've been tossing around for a few months now, but
>haven't had any idea what to make of it. With these new events, and the DMCA
>coming closer and closer to the public eye, I'm wondering if I might be able
>to contribute something useful to the fight to get rid of it.
>
>So far, most of the defenses of things like DeCSS that I've seen focus on
>arguing soruce code as a form of speech. IMO, this is a bit of a stretch and
>doesn't seem to have done all that good of a job.

You wound me, sir, you *wound* me.

See, I wrote the Programmers and Academics' Amicus Brief in the 2600
appeal, which argues nothing but that code is speech.  ;-)

http://www.eff.org/IP/DMCA/MPAA_DVD_cases/20010126_ny_progacad_amicus.html

James S. Tyre                               mailto:jstyre at jstyre.com
Law Offices of James S. Tyre          310-839-4114/310-839-4602(fax)
10736 Jefferson Blvd., #512               Culver City, CA 90230-4969
Co-founder, The Censorware Project             http://censorware.net