[free-sklyarov] O'Reilly's stance on the DMCA...

free-sklyarov at effector.xenoclast.org free-sklyarov at effector.xenoclast.org
Sat Jul 21 04:03:55 PDT 2001

I have posted a question on the 'Ask Tim' section of O'Reilly's
website.  Text reproduced below:

Subject: What is O'Reilly's stance on the DMCA?

Following the arrest of Dmitry Sklyarov for offences under the DMCA
after the company he works for published code that decrypt's Adobe
eBooks, the AAP (Association of American Publishers) have come out in
support of the DMCA.

I would be very interested to hear what O'Reilly's position is on
those parts of the DMCA which seek to make a crime of the act of
circumventing a copyright protection mechanism (or even discssing the
circumvention of a copyright protection mechanism).

As someone considering writing a book, it is in my best interests, if
I choose to distribute my book electronically, for electronic book
formats and readers to be subjected to the same peer review and
scrutiny that encryption algorithms routinely undergo.  Without such
an inspection, I have no guarantee that the technology I choose is not
easily broken.  Such scrutiny is manifestly impossible if the DMCA can
be employed by companies who sell poorly secured products to prosecute
anyone attempting to engage in such discussion.

I was disappointed by the AAP's decision to support the DMCA, and am
keen to hear your own views on the subject.

Julian Midgley

--
Julian T. J. Midgley                    http://www.xenoclast.org
Cambridge, England.                       PGP Key ID: 0xBCC7863F