[free-sklyarov] Re: DMCA flyer on web

Seth Finkelstein sethf at sethf.com
Sat Jul 21 08:49:30 PDT 2001

	Paul, that's a great effort. But you have a few errors there.

	The best historical resource I've found is

http://eon.law.harvard.edu/openlaw/DVD/dmca/

In http://www.paultopia.net/adobe/flyer.html , you write

        It was, per above, October 28, 1998

> The DMCA has one particularly bad section, called the
> anti-circumvention provision. This makes it a crime to break
> encryption used to prevent someone from getting access to electronic
> content. This also makes it a crime to "traffic" in a tool used to
> break that kind of encryption. This is written so broadly, that, in
> theory, decoding the sentence E-thay mca-day eally-ray ucks-say from
> the Pig Latin could be a crime.

	As one who has felt the chilling effect of the DMCA quite
directly, I hate to criticize this. But, really, the above isn't quite
accurate. I fear it'll lose people for overstating. It's a crime only
if you do it for "financial gain".

	Otherwise, you "just" can be sued for everything you own
and then some, pauperized through legal fees, which is bad enough.

--
Seth Finkelstein  Consulting Programmer  sethf at sethf.com  http://sethf.com
http://www10.nytimes.com/2001/07/19/technology/circuits/19HACK.html