[free-sklyarov] An Alternative Line of Argumentation

Izel Sulam izel at sulam.com
Sat Jul 21 12:42:05 PDT 2001

I have read the arguments worded in babyspeak that are meant to get through
to the unwashed masses. I read about why the DMCA is bad, why fair use is
good, my home, my castle, my computer, my software, viva la Russian hacker,
etc.

I also read the criticisms. And I agree with them. There is too much
intellectual baggage and too much stigma here for sheeple to handle. The
mainstream media has relentlessly associated computer and security research
with cracking, terrorism, espionage, kiddy porn, murder, piracy, rape, and
possibly every other crime on this damn planet. The sheeple eat it up. You
cannot educate such a gullible mass with such strong convictions in the
span of a few days as to the realities of DMCA, the necessity of computer
and security research, the importance of fair use rights, etc.

Therefore, I am going to suggest an alternative line of argumentation. This
line of argumentation draws a strong parallel between this case and the
Ford / Firestone case.

Here is the argument, in babyspeak.

1) Adobe makes a very expensive product. They represent that this product
is very capable and very secure.

2) This is a fraud and this is a sham. The product is not at all secure. It
is trash, it is garbage. It does not work as advertised. Adobe itself knows
this. Even so, they continue to pretend otherwise, and they continue to
sell their product for large amounts of money to customers who are not
aware that they are being defrauded.

3) Dmitry Sklyarov, Russian PhD student, computer scientist, consumer
advocate, a husband and a father of two children, has conducted research in
Russia to prove that Adobe's product does not work as advertised. This kind
of research is not only legal in Russia, but it is also legally required
under Russian law, in order to protect consumer interests.

4) Dmitry visited the US, the land of Free Speech, in order to give a
lecture about his research.

5) Adobe does not like Dmitry's research. So following Dmitry's lecture,
Adobe had the FBI arrest Dmitry on made up charges - on the basis of an
alleged crime that Dmitry did not commit.

6) This is unethical and this is illegal. Dmitry must be freed, Adobe must
apologize for its unacceptable actions, and they must face legal
consequences for fradulently misrepresenting the capabilities of their
flawed products.

The alleged crime that Dmitry did not commit, but with which he is being
charged, as referred to in section 5, is selling Advanced ebook Processor,
which Dmitry never sold, in Russia, the US, or anywhere else. Dmitry
doesn't sell nor distribute any software, his employer does. Dmitry only
writes software, and whatever software he wrote, he wrote in Russia, not in
the US.

I believe that all of these statements are 100% true. I also believe this
argument will have the most positive impact on the sheeple, much moreso
than DMCA / fair use arguments which will go right over their heads.

People are very much familiar with the Ford / Firestone fiasco and they are
familiar with how large corporations can and do defraud and endanger their
customers in their pursuit for better profits. This should provide a point
of unification and various rallying cries.  "Remember Firestone!" etc.

Comments, suggestions welcome.

- izel