[free-sklyarov] RE: Protest Sites (was: Differences Between Seattle and Chicago)

Eric Rachner eric at mostly.harmless.org
Sat Jul 21 16:28:54 PDT 2001

	(cc'ing national list since I feel this to be of general
relevance.)

	To be clear, Adobe has not chosen to cooperate, they have only
chosen to discuss the possibility of cooperation.  And I reiterate that
our goal is not to engage in conversation with Adobe, it is to free
Dmitry and defeat the DMCA.
	As far as Adobe is concerned, the means to our ends are to
persuade Adobe to drop their support of this case, and to demonstrate to
other stakeholders in the Digital Rights Management industry that the
public will not tolerate their invocation of the DMCA.
	Conversation alone will not persuade them, nor will it
demonstrate anything to Adobe's peers in the DRM business.  We must keep
the proverbial big stick at hand when speaking to Adobe.

	Also, I think Chicago's decision to protest at an FBI facility
is meaningless.  Compare it to arguing for drug legalization with a
police officer.  Unless you can persuade the officer to quit her job in
protest of her mandatory duties, you've wasted your time.  So it is with
the FBI in this case.  (I do recognize that protesting versus a law
enforcement agency is appropriate when they miscarry their duties, but
if that applies in this case, it is a minor issue.)

	The best locations at which to protest are Adobe offices, and US
Attorney's offices, since they control the case at this point.
Considering that Adobe is willing to talk with the EFF, but the US
Attorneys are not, we should plan to protest at a local US Attorney's
office, and be prepared to take the protest to Adobe in the event that
talks are unproductive.
	Productive means yielding a written committment from Adobe to
drop support of the case and issue a press release in report of having
done so.  Anything short of that is just conversation, and should result
in public protest of Adobe's role in this case.

	I reiterate that Adobe has no incentive to cooperate if we are
not ready to criticize them publicly, boycott their products, undermine
support of their technology, and donate our assistance to free
alternatives.

	As to the US Attorney's Office, we must demnonstrate to their
leadership and administration that they will be accountable for their
actions with respect to the DMCA.

	- Eric