[free-sklyarov] Alan Cox reaction

Xcott Craver sacraver at EE.Princeton.EDU
Sun Jul 22 05:04:53 PDT 2001

On Sun, 22 Jul 2001, Andrew Lawrence wrote:

> I find it very strange when the citizens of country that is so proud of its
> "First Amendment" and the "Right of Free Speech" need to travel north, cross
> the border and apply for "Political Asylum" here in Canada, as happened last
> month.
> </OFF_TOPIC_RANT>

	I imagine a flier, or a sidebar on a flier, whose basic theme is
	that people in search of free speech are being driven out of the
	US.  It would include DMCA examples, this example, and possibly
	UCITA.  UCITA can really create a sense of urgency, as it is
	being adopted state-by-state, like an infection.

	People are more likely to respond to a pattern, a rash of people
	leaving than one specific example.  That will illustrate that
	something major is happening to the country, not just to some coders.

	So, are there other examples of people leaving the US, or moving
	conferences outside the US, or publicly pondering as much, over
	free speech issues?  We have the Scientology "Cruise" missile bit,
	and Alan Cox, and Ross Anderson's comments to the press after IHW.

								-S