[free-sklyarov] Protest strategy & goals

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Sun Jul 22 08:05:29 PDT 2001

On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 01:57:33AM -0400, Seth Finkelstein wrote:
> that Congress has a moral responsibility to define property
> in some conjectured Libertarian-type fashion, and then endlessly
> repeating some variant of government-bad when they do not - well,
> it seems to me that's unproductive in the extreme. Maybe it
> fills column space. But in terms of analysis, in terms of having
> any utility whatsoever besides preaching (maybe not even to the
> choir), I just don't see it.

The above is silly to the point of verging on nutty.

Congress has a responsibility to act in the best interests of all
Americans, not just special interest groups. Legislators should enact
new federal criminal laws as a last resort, not just because of some
aggrieved lobbying by the software industry. And members of Congress
should be held accountable for their actions, at the ballot box when
the time comes, and before that with demonstrations, if necessary.

This is just common sense.

-Declan