[free-sklyarov] Protest strategy & goals

Keith A. Glass (home email) salgak at speakeasy.net
Sun Jul 22 10:13:50 PDT 2001

>Congress has a responsibility to act in the best interests of all
>Americans, not just special interest groups. Legislators should enact
>new federal criminal laws as a last resort, not just because of some
>aggrieved lobbying by the software industry. And members of Congress
>should be held accountable for their actions, at the ballot box when
>the time comes, and before that with demonstrations, if necessary.

Declan, Declan, Declan...

You know as well as I do that the American electorate, as a whole,
has the attention span of a gnat on speed. . .  I remember similar
calls after the CDA, and were the politicians turned out ?  No.

In fact, I asked Cong. Tom Davis about his vote, and the gist of
the reply was "Yes, I know the CDA portion is blatantly
Unconstitutional, and we expect the courts to throw it out before
it even takes effect".  And as Congresscritters go, Tom is fairly
tech-savvy.

The current political system has evolved that big corps and lobbies
have the power unless the public uproar is overwhelming.

>This is just common sense.

And just where is a new Thomas Paine, when the net really needs him ???

<g>