[free-sklyarov] An Alternative Line of Argumentation

Izel Sulam izel at sulam.com
Sun Jul 22 14:29:14 PDT 2001

Jay Sulzberger jays at panix.com wrote:

>Here is how encryption could be denied to individuals:

Being able to tell encrypted packets apart from nonencrypted packets seems
to me to be a very nontrivial problem. Even moreso when you have to do it
at the rate of many millions of packets per second. Even if encrypted
packets from a zillion different programs using a billion different
algorithms can somehow all be reliably identified, and blocked, and no
unencrypted packets ever mistakenly blocked in the process, there's always
steganograpgy to fall back on.

I really wouldn't worry about encryption not being available to individuals
anytime soon. There would be absolutely no technological means to enforce
that sort of ban.

Besides, encryption is classified as munitions in the US, and banning
individual access to encryption is therefore an outright violation of the
Second Amendment. The NRA crowd would be with us on this one. I don't think
Bush would willingly want to piss off the NRA crowd anytime soon.