[free-sklyarov] An Alternative Line of Argumentation

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Sun Jul 22 14:39:58 PDT 2001

Jay Sulzberger writes:

> Not off topic.  On topic.  Makes the quick explanation better:
>
> An Adobe product that sells for $3000 is feeble compared to the "secret
> decoder ring", and a man sits in jail because Adobe does not want you to
> know this.
>
> Is it an Adobe product, or a joint production of Adobe and a partner?

Adobe acquired the eBook format from a company called GlassBook.

http://www.adobe.com/epaper/ebooks/main.html

   Try out new eBook reading software from Adobe. Acrobat eBook Reader
   2.1 is the latest version of the former Glassbook Reader.

http://bookstore.glassbook.com/store/default.asp

  The Adobe (®) Acrobat (®) eBook Reader (formerly called the Glassbook
  Reader) is your key to the new world of electronic books. It is a
  completely new software package that enables you to use your existing
  Windows PC or Macintosh as a sophisticated eBook reading device.

  To get started, download and install the NEW Adobe Acrobat eBook
  Reader 2.2. Once you have installed the Reader, you are ready to
  explore the new world of electronic books.

My understanding is that Adobe purchased the other company earlier
this year.

If I remember correctly, version 2.2 was released in response to the
existence of AEBPR, but AEBPR still works with it.

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org> | Its really terrible when FBI arrested
Temp.  http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/ | hacker, who visited USA with peacefull