[free-sklyarov] Ripple Effect

Monty R Manley mrmanley at home.com
Sun Jul 22 15:35:24 PDT 2001

The ripple effect of this affair is getting bigger and bigger.  The AAP
comes out in favor of Adobe's actions against Dmitry, but it turns out
that the ACM is a member of the AAP.  It's hard to imagine that the
illustrious ACM would have anything but contempt for the DMCA (have they
come out publicly for/against the DMCA?).  Librarians, the natural allies
of free speech and fair use, are caught in the crossfire between
publishers and the readers.  Scientists are finding themselves muzzled
because their research might embarass or negatively impact a large
corporation.

Likewise with the G8 protests in Genoa -- much of their cause is the same
as this one: not letting corporations trample the rights of individual
people.

We seem to have had a confluence of events leading up to a critical mass.
People are angry -- not just at what happened to Dmitry, but at many
things that have happned in the last few years.  Our rights are slowly
being siphoned away by corporations and their politicain lapdogs, and I'm
glad to see that many folks are simply not going to stand for it anymore.
I just hope that when Dmitry is freed, things will not go back to
"business as usual".  We need to keep the pressure on.

Free Dmitry,

Monty Manley