[free-sklyarov] 6 o'clock

Izel Sulam izel at sulam.com
Sun Jul 22 17:25:32 PDT 2001

I want to caution protesters not to fall for what Adobe is obviously going
to do.

I have seen people state that they will wait until around 1 pm, and if
EFF-Adobe negotiations are still ongoing, that they will protest the US
Government, but not Adobe.

This is a misguided approach. It lets Adobe off the hook. Clearly, if this
is how people plan to act, then Adobe has every incentive to waste EFF's
time until early evening, when reporters and journalists will have lost
interest in the protests, and then the EFF representatives will be let go
with nary a result.

That would be a shame. Since Adobe is largely responsible for the chain of
events leading to Monday's protests, Adobe deserves its 15 minutes of fame
(infamy) and we will give it to them whether they want it or not.

WE MUST ENSURE THAT ADOBE WILL BE ON MONDAY'S SIX O'CLOCK NEWS.

This is so important that it bears repeating.

WE MUST ENSURE THAT ADOBE WILL BE ON MONDAY'S SIX O'CLOCK NEWS.

One hopes that Adobe will be on the six o'clock news because they will have
had the foresight to apologize to the EFF, and then publicly to the press,
and state on the record that they are sorry for what has happened, and that
they will not cooperate with the DOJ as a witness, and they are retracting
their complaints, etc. And all this before 1 pm.

But we know that this will never happen.

So we will put Adobe on the six o'clock news ourselves.

How will this happen? By 1 pm, unless we have the aforementioned solid
result, I strongly suggest that protests go ahead in full force against
Adobe, the DMCA, and championing the freedom of Dmitry. The consumer rights
angle should be emphasized above all else. Make this day a Black Monday for
Adobe. Tell the nation and the world how a profit-hungry corporation based
on fraud, thuggery, and magic decoders rings will undertake the cruelest,
vilest, most illegal acts in order to improve their bottom line.

Thanks.
- izel