[free-sklyarov] Re: The American Association of Publishers issues a press release (Derek Balling)

Tony Hursh awh at acm.org
Sun Jul 22 17:34:03 PDT 2001

At 05:14 PM 7/22/01 -0700, Derek Balling <dredd at megacity.org> wrote:

>At 4:22 PM -0700 7/22/01, Seth David Schoen wrote:
> >I wrote to Dr. Barbara Simons, who has been ACM President and a
> >long-time DMCA opponent, to let her know and ask her to spread the
> >word.
> >
> >It is _abundantly_ clear that the ACM oppose the DMCA, and has been
> >working hard against it.
> >
> >http://www.acm.org/usacm/copyright/
> >

>I agree that they appear to be against it, but so long as they remain
>a member of an organization that lauds it, they are hypocrites
>unworthy of my dues money. :)

Maybe we should tone down the rhetoric here just a tad? This AAP
press release came out just a couple of days ago, and I seriously
doubt if the AAP bothered to run it by their members (including
ACM) before releasing it. It is inconceivable to me that the ACM
would have approved this. Before we start bandying about words
like "hypocrites" it seems to me that we should let the ACM issue
an official response. I have every confidence that the ACM will
repudiate the AAP's stance.

Let's not forget that one letter to Congress from an organization
like the ACM probably carries more clout than a dozen
demonstrations.

-- Tony (no official connection with ACM other than as a
member, though I do use their email service)