[free-sklyarov] ACM and EFF

Andrea andrea at gravitt.org
Sun Jul 22 18:37:04 PDT 2001

On Sun, 22 Jul 2001 20:58, Seth Johnson <mailto:seth.johnson at RealMeasures.dyndns.org> wrote:
>Oh, yes, absolutely!Ê Can we seriously work on this?

This is a wonderful idea. ACM was all over the DMCA from the
beginning. Unfortunately, they were also ignored just like EFF and all
the others. IEEE was involved as well, along with other societies.

But even if we cannot expect them to waltz in and rewrite the law, I
absolutely do not agree that they have no more impact than a group of
individuals. It is foolish to dismiss such an opportunity.

After all, that's what professional associations are all about, and
it's why I pay them all that money every year. It's certainly not so I
can get some nifty email address or add to the pile of
publications-to-read-this-decade collecting dust on my desk. Hell,
there isn't even a professional chapter in Atlanta to participate in.

Now I have another letter to write! Where shall we begin?

Andrea
feorlen at acm dot org