[free-sklyarov] Pronunciation of Dmitry's name.

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Sun Jul 22 19:05:16 PDT 2001

Begin C. Scott Ananian quotation:
> Can one of the Russians on the list record an audio file with the
> definitive pronunciation of Dmitry's name?  I'd like to make sure all of
> us don't massacre it when we give press interviews tomorrow.  Thanks!

	I don't have appropriate recording equipment, but it is
pronounced sklee-YA-rohv

	sklee as in "ski" with an L thrown in.

	YA as in the German word for "yes" (spelled "ja").

	rov with the o as in "offer".

	Proper Russians will not pronounce the "ee" in the "sklee"
syllable, but will instead soften the l in a manner that is difficult
to describe in English e-mail.  However, it is good enough for
Americans to pronounce it as three syllables.

	The softening of consonants is one of those things about
Russian pronunciation that takes weeks of practice by most Americans.
Don't fret over it.

--
"The only thing is certain: Russian petty computer hooligans are very
slovenly, while FBI agents are very persistent in hunting them." --Pravda