[free-sklyarov] American companies trafficking in Circumvention devices

Andrew Lawrence ausage at ausage.com
Mon Jul 23 01:50:13 PDT 2001

Many people and business protect their (copyrighted) private documents and
data with the "encryption" methods built into office suite applications.

A very quick search on google.com reveals the following American companies
are trafficking in copyright circumvention devices (i.e. password recovery
tools).

CNET Networks, Inc
150 Chestnut Street
San Francisco, CA 96111
http://www.cnet.com

CRAK Software
814 E. Coral Gables Dr.
Phoenix, AZ 95022
http://www.crak.com

AccessData Corporation
2500 North University Ave
Suite 200
Provo, UT 84604-3864
http://www.accessdata.com

LastBit Software
Bridge Plaza Office Center
2928 41st Avenue, Suite 910B
L.I. City, New York 11101-3302
http://www.lastbit.com

Before anyone says, hey that's not applicable... its only for private
documents, I have a client that distributes a very expensive commercial
database, $1,000 - $2,000 US per copy, as an encrypted MS Access database
relying on Access's buildin password protection (Stupid I know, but that's
what they do and they are not the only ones). That product is sold in the US.
Therefore according to the DMCA, any password recovery program is a
circumvention device.

Why is the FBI persecuting a Russian hacker.  What have they not charged any
of these American companies, who are doing exactly the same thing as Dimitry
and Elcomsoft.

--
Andrew Lawrence         <ausage at smoke-and-mirrors.net>
Smoke & Mirrors         http://www.smoke-and-mirrors.net