[free-sklyarov] Savage, Heston, and gun nuts

Charles L. Jackson chuck at jacksons.net
Mon Jul 23 07:14:58 PDT 2001

Chris Savage wrote:
> Who knows?  W won't listen to EFF or ACLU, but maybe if Charleton Heston
> comes out in favor of Dmitri, something would happen!

In fact, many gun rights activists are well aware of the parallel between
2nd Amendment rights and 1st Amendment rights.  If you go to
groups.google.com (nee Dejavu), call up talk.politics.guns, and do a search
for messages with the term encryption, you will get about 20,000 hits.  Of
course, a lot of the hits are caused by one person whose sig line is "If my
'assault rifle' makes me a criminal, And my encryption program makes me a
terrorist, Does Dianne Feinstein's vagina make her a prostitute?

You can also go to Eric Raymond's web page Geeks with guns
(http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/geeks-with-guns/.
(If you don't know who ESR is, that's bizarre--but you can go to the
Cathedral and find out.)

Similarly, look at the discussions of Carnivore and CALEA at the
independence institute http://i2i.org/CrimJust.htm.

Chuck Jackson