[free-sklyarov] UseNix to include Felten et al research

James S. Tyre jstyre at jstyre.com
Mon Jul 23 12:33:00 PDT 2001

At 11:44 AM 7/23/2001 -0700, Nick Moffitt wrote:

>Thursday July 19, 02:58 PM EDT    [ Press Releases ]
>Monica Ortiz tells us about this press release: The USENIX Association
>today confirmed the inclusion of a controversial research paper to its
>Security Symposium to be held in Washington, DC next month. The paper
>reveals inherent security risks with the recording industry's digital
>music access-control technologies. Dr. Edward Felten, the Princeton
>University scientist who was a key member of the research team, will also
>participate in a panel discussion about the paper's recent legal
>wrangles.
>
>... more
>
>http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=01/07/19/1854215&mode=thread

Yes, the presentation of "Reading Between the Lines ..." will be Wednesday,
7/15, 6:00 p.m., immediately followed by what should be an interesting
panel discussion on DMCA/SDMI,
http://www.usenix.org/events/sec01/tech.html#sdmi.

Ed Felten will be a panelist, but my understanding is that he will *not* be
the one presenting the paper itself, that honor falling to someone (surely
not me) who is a regular contributor to this list, who heretofore has
chosen not to mention that he is one of the SDMI researchers/paper authors.

-J, just a lawyer for the _Felten_ Plaintiffs.

James S. Tyre                               mailto:jstyre at jstyre.com
Law Offices of James S. Tyre          310-839-4114/310-839-4602(fax)
10736 Jefferson Blvd., #512               Culver City, CA 90230-4969
Co-founder, The Censorware Project             http://censorware.net