[free-sklyarov] Adobe press release

Peter pmasloch at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 23 12:50:18 PDT 2001

There is a small chance that they (Adobe) pulled the webpage of request
from the EFF.
Peter

Free Dmitry Sklyarov
Stop the DMCA
http://www.freesklyarov.org/
http://www.boykottadobe.org

I was now sent a copy of the press release. it contains a lot of the
"it's all for our customers" bullshit, and a few things I want to
comment on:

>   Adobe encourages its customers and the software community, including
>   White Hat security experts, to provide feedback on the performance
of
>   its software in order to make improvements. Adobe's concern is that
>   "digital lock pick" is being distributed to enable others to
>   compromise the copyrighted works of authors, artists, developers and
>   publishers, which is why Adobe alerted the U.S. Attorney's office.

if you pick an analogy, adobe, you must be aware of it's shortcomings.
AFAIK, lock picks are not and have never been illegal in the US.

>   Q: Who says that the United States gets to impose its laws
>   (specifically, the Digital Millenium Copyright Act) on individuals
and
>   businesses in other countries?
>   A: Questions regarding the law and its enforcement in this case
should
>   be forwarded to the U.S. Attorney's office.
>
>   Q: What will happen next?
>   A: Any questions regarding this investigation should be forwarded to
>   the U.S. Attorney's office.

I guess that means we can forget about the EFF meeting. adobe has
officially removed itself from the equation.

--
-- http://web.lemuria.org