[free-sklyarov] Good news

Marvin marvin at qubit.computershop.calgary.ab.ca
Tue Jul 24 00:16:25 PDT 2001

Vladimir,
   I hope you are getting good legal advice.  Because when I read Adobe's
statement, I see two things:

    1) Adobe is playing a full corporate power game.  They are calculating
that having Sklyarov as a hostage is the method they will use to keep
people from further organizing boycotts against Adobe.  So long as people
hope that Adobe can help release Sklyarov they will be afraid to engage in
boycotts against them.  There is no expression of remorse in the Adobe
statement, and no promise of recompense.

   2) Adobe seems to imply that the real problem is that the FBI has the
wrong man in jail, and the right man should be YOU! -- but that they will
forgive you if you comply with keeping your software out of the commercial
market.  The problem, is that with the kind of clarification that Adobe is
making, I wouldn't be surprised if the FBI was waiting for you as soon as
you leave the conference with Adobe.  The FBI plays this kind of a game
all the time.  And they have no notion of forgiving anyone, especially
when they are as embarassed at they are this time.  And of course, Adobe
will say that it was out of their hands.

Austin Hook
Calgary