[free-sklyarov] Adobe dropping charges, US Pressing ahead

Klepht klepht at eleutheria.org
Tue Jul 24 02:17:15 PDT 2001

    T> I am currently torn between two directions that both sound
    T> intelligent:

    T> a) ease up on adobe, or they might turn around again. they did
    T> withdraw, so they should get a cookie for being good boys

I say that unless Adobe reneges on their announcement today, they
should be left alone. MAINLY because they're not particularly cogent
to our cause anymore.

If we wanted to tell Adobe, and other companies, that they couldn't
get away with using the criminal portions of the DMCA without a
serious firefight, well, we did that.

If we wanted to get everything we could out of Adobe, I think we did
that, too. If Adobe can do more to get Dmitry free than retract their
complaint and request his release, well, I'd be surprised.

So, we a) gave them the punishment and b) got what we wanted. Any
other work on Adobe is just us exercising our anger, which could
easily be exercised on other worthy targets. Especially if Dmitry
isn't set free soon.

~Klepht

klepht at eleutheria.org
http://www.eleutheria.org/