[free-sklyarov] Dmitry's Status

Dan Martinez dfm at area.com
Tue Jul 24 09:43:30 PDT 2001

So, last I heard, (a) no one knows exactly where Dmitry is, and (b) he
has yet to be allowed even consular contact.

Are these things still true?

If so, it seems like (b) should be played up in the press. Our
government raised quite a stink a few months ago when several of its
servicepersons were held by the Chinese government without immediate
consular contact.

As for (a), someone mentioned a writ of habeas corpus. IANAL -- can
someone who is comment on the usefulness of such a thing as a means of
establishing contact with Dmitri? Is anyone at the EFF or elsewhere
pursuing this avenue?

While I'm all for marching on until the DMCA lies in rubble at our
feet, I don't want to lose sight of the fact that a guy younger than I
am has been entrusted to the tender mercies of federal custody, and it
would probably do him a great deal of good to know that there's still
a larger world out there that cares about him and wants to get him
out.

Dan