[free-sklyarov] Better crypto for eBooks?

Roger Kramer krw5 at qwest.net
Tue Jul 24 13:14:50 PDT 2001

On Tuesday 24 July 2001 12:51, you wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 10:41:18AM -0700, Marvin wrote:
> > Perhaps I am not imaginative enough, but if it's on my own general
> > purpose computer, I can't see how any eBook kind of coding could prevent
> > the use of generalized tools evolving to rip the contents right off the
> > screen it is being viewed on.
>
> Microsoft is working on something called "secure audio path" which is
> designed to do just that.  The basic concept is that an encrypted audio
> file is read off your hard drive by an S.A.P.-compliant piece of software.

Marvin is absolutely right, and the corporate ignorance around this, as
demonstrated my M$ 's efforts, is so endemic and profound it's hard to resist
blaming the victims.  Bruce has already covered this and anything else M$ or
Adobe or name-your-company can dream up:

"...any system where the device and the secrets within the device are under
the control of different people has a fundamental security flaw." (Secrets
and Lies)

...and, incidentally, the "screen scraping" Marvin mentioned itself has
"legitimate" uses.

roger