[free-sklyarov] Orrin Hatch & Robert Mueller confirmation

Morgan morganw at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 24 13:42:07 PDT 2001

Hatch might be worth writing some (snail mail) letters or
telegrams to.  He's lately been somewhat annoyed at how industry
is messing up what could be a revolution in media accessibility
for consumers.

http://www.newsbytes.com/news/01/160336.html

Hatch is definitely pro-capitalism (and pro "IP can be owned"),
but he seems to be interested in providing choices for
consumers.  His remarks at the software competition (Bill Gates
doing his version of the tobacco execs "nicotine is not
addictive") and digital television hearings show his sympathy
for the consumer.

If an argument in favor of Dmitry's work is made in those terms,
he might pay attention.  It certainly worked on a Wells Fargo
banker who was eating at a lunch place down the street from San
Jose Adobe during the protest.  I asked him what he'd do if his
hard drive went south or he wanted to get a newer computer but
his books and software were locked to the old machine or the
keys were only on the dead drive (I know you can back up the
keys, but it's harder to keep track of keys for e-delivered
stuff than CD's with bright & shiny logos on them).  He got it.

I don't agree with Hatch on social issues, but on economic ones,
not only do we agree, but he's smart enough to catch Gates and
the head of the CEMA in deceptive/self-contradicting spin.

http://www.issues2000.org/Senate/Orrin_Hatch.htm#Technology

131 Russell SOB
Washington DC 20510
202-224-6331 (fax)