[free-sklyarov] psychology: differences between the FBI/DoJ and Adobe

kathryn at ksml.com kathryn at ksml.com
Tue Jul 24 16:03:51 PDT 2001

A few reasons why I think the next step- dealing with the FBI/DoJ- will be
harder.

Think of a time you had to admit you were wrong. Did you first dig in your
heels a little? Would you have admitted your mistake if other people were
there? If that admission reflected badly on all those people? Or what if
someone else tried to take credit for changing your mind, and you didn't
want to give them that credit? Ever not done something because you've been
ordered to do it, otherwise, voluntarily, you'd have done it? That's the
psychology we'll be dealing with in the FBI/DoJ.

With Adobe, they weren't admitting that a product was wrong, only a decision
was wrong. With the Gov't their choice to arrest Dmitri has everything to do
with their core competency/ product ("Can we arrest the right guy?").
Letting him go = admission of failure.

With Adobe, boycotts and use of alternate products are a credible threat.
And the EFF could simultaneously play good cop / bad cop = help give them an
out while reminding them these cases can go on for years. The protests
outside tell Adobe exactly what those years will mean and who they'll be
losing as customers.