[free-sklyarov] The OSCON sleeps on ...

proclus at iname.com proclus at iname.com
Tue Jul 24 17:59:13 PDT 2001

On 24 Jul, Bob La Quey wrote:
> San Diego is a beautiful place. Laying around in a first class hotel
> by the bay, talking techie talk, drinking a cool beer afterward, ...
> Well I suppose it is easy to see why the OSCON is somnolent.
>
> In private conversations with key figures in the Open Source Community
> and from the Free Software Foundation, I find no special concern or
> passion for this issue. More a matter of fact, business as usual, let
> the EFF do it attitude. Dmitry Sklyarov is in jail and the Free/Open Source
> software community is taking a "ho hum" attitude.

If you are right, I think that it is very short-sided.  It seems to me
that if this can be done to a proprietary developer, it can be done
worse to a free software developer.  Anyways, _I'm here_, and what you
are doing is appreciated.

My interest is double, because I'm an academic also, who is developing
a new Unix distro.  The DMCA attacks speech, assembly, fair use
rights, and academic freedom.  We must put an end to it before it is
 too late, before it puts an end to free software and independent
intellectual inquiry.  FREE Dmitry!

Regards,
proclus
http://www.gnu-darwin.org/