[free-sklyarov] Re: He's free....

Gary Dolan fred1 at inebraska.com
Tue Jul 24 18:32:16 PDT 2001

On 24 Jul 2001, at 20:15, Jason H Clouse wrote:

>         1d.  Finally, in Western jurisprudence, only tangibles can be
> owned as property.  In other words, you can own a book but not the words
> inside.  Instead, you have a government-granted time-limited monopoly on
> the copying of the information.  Copyright and Patent laws have been
> twisted into "property laws" over the years and the term has become
> extremely long and renewable.

   Much of what you say is an opinion about what the law ought to be.
This, of course, does not affect the way the law actually is. However, the
statement of yours I have quoted above is absolutely, incredibly,
enormously wrong.  Western jurisprudence does now and has long
recognized intangible property.
   I am completely and totally against the current absurd prosecution
of Dmitri. It represents a real problematic application of the criminal law,
for any number of reasons. And we are seeing the mischief that comes
from a poorly conceived bit of legislation. There are enough good
arguments against this entire proceeding; leave the unsupportable
arguments for the other side.