[free-sklyarov] EFF's Mueller letter a mistake, I fear

Jonathan Weesner Jonathan at Weesner.org
Wed Jul 25 00:33:49 PDT 2001

With all due respect to Shari and the EFF, I fear their public letter to
Mueller will not have the desired effect... and may even backfire.

Two problems I see with the letter are:
1. Although couched in conciliatory language, there is a clear
suggestion of threat.  The offer to remove this threat if Mueller agrees
to meet smells even worse.
2. Public posting of the letter denies Mueller the fig leaf of secrecy
to hide behide while he caves in to EFF demands.

Experience shows us how various groups react to the threat of public
protest:
1. Politicians cave in eventually
2. Corporations cave much faster
3. Appointed Bureaucrats become bull-headed paranoids when confronted
with the hint of a threat, or the suggestion they have erred.

I hope I'm wrong on this one!

Jonathan Weesner