[free-sklyarov] RE:Congress No Haven for Hackers

Bill Evans bill at leflaw.net
Wed Jul 25 11:03:31 PDT 2001

Declan is correct in that many in Congress are not
 open to alienating the MPAA and RIAA, if for no other
 reason than the money they contribute to the campaign war chests.
However Rick Boucher from Virginia's 9th District is planning
 on introducing legislation to assure fair use rights this summer.

I recently, (along with Tom Barger) had the opportunity
 to spend approx. 1/2 an hour with Congressman Boucher
 discussing the DMCA and section 1201. He is as unhappy
 with 1201 as we are. He feels that it goes much too far.
He also expressed his feelings that Prof. Felton will win his case.

http://www.house.gov/boucher/docs/fairuse.htm

Congressman Boucher is also the Co-Chair of the Internet Caucus.
He is often consulted by other members of congress to explain how
 the internet works. He asks the tough questions of witnesses.
In VA (where I live as well) His hometown of Abingdon VA was one of the
 first Electronic Villages. He is our friend in the fight to modify the DMCA...

Let him know your thoughts and feelings about the DMCA..

Ninthnet at mail.house.gov

As always, be sure to include your name and address
and keep it civil. He's one of the good guys....

Bill Evans