[free-sklyarov] Libertarian anti-DMCA is fantasy

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Wed Jul 25 14:12:42 PDT 2001

On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 04:40:57PM -0400, Seth Finkelstein wrote:
> > This is true. I'm not intimately familiar with the Libertarian Party,
>
> 	Ahem.
>
> "In Defense of Libertarianism" by Declan McCullagh and Solveig Singleton
> http://hotwired.com/synapse/feature/97/36/mccullagh4a_1.html

Right, and you can see other stuff I've written at cluebot.com,
wired.com, politechbot.com, The New Republic, and many other
sites. But being sympathetic to libertarian values is not the same as
being a Libertarian Party member, which I am not and have not been,
not that it is any of your business anyway.

Too many journalists in Washington suck up to the trade associations
and DOJ and FBI and Congress -- look at the coverage of the DMCA in
1998-- I try to be a bit more independent.

As for copyright, my views are still evolving. I think
copyright-anarchist arguments (though only the thoughtful ones, like
Tom Bell's) have something to be said for them. But I haven't thought
through the economics and law enough to have a solid opinion about
what I would want copyright law to look like if I were in charge.

The rest of Seth's post is, typically, nonsense or otherwise not
worth the time it takes to reply.