[free-sklyarov] FW: [Seattle-Sklyarov] Microsoft in violation of the DMCA?

Charles Eakins admin at seattle-chat.com
Wed Jul 25 14:23:13 PDT 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: seattle-sklyarov-admin at woozle.org
[mailto:seattle-sklyarov-admin at woozle.org]On Behalf Of Fred McLain
Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2001 2:14 PM
To: seattle-sklyarov at woozle.org
Subject: [Seattle-Sklyarov] Microsoft in violation of the DMCA?

Hi folks,

Here's an interesting thought.  Microsoft may be in violation of the DMCA
because of the software they are building into Windows XP.  The software is
called "Passport" because it stores users passwords on MS's internet
servers.  This software then can be used to bypass logins on various web
services.  It occurs to me that by doing this they are breaking several
forms of cryptography used on the net.  See this URL for a bit of
information on it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/07/25/technology/ebusiness/25COMP.html?todayshea
dlines

Note that using Passport under Win XP isn't an option - you have to use it
to use XP internet services.  Perhaps one way to defeat the DMCA is to start
filing complaints to the FBI for any companies we can find that could be
seen to be in violation of it.

	-Fred-