[free-sklyarov] Congress says: Keep Dmitry in jail! Washington loves DMCA...

Seth Finkelstein sethf at sethf.com
Wed Jul 25 14:26:49 PDT 2001

"Mark K. Bilbo" wrote:

> Nah, the Wobblies are too much for me too. I'm just tired of the IT folk
> being smeared and outlawed every time we turn around these days. By, of
> course, the very same people who couldn't boot their computers without the
> Help Desk.

http://www.crixa.com/muse/unionsong/u025.html

Solidarity Forever

    A Song by Ralph Chaplin

    When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
    There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
    Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
    For the Union makes us strong

    Chorus
    Solidarity forever, solidarity forever
    Solidarity forever
    For the Union makes us strong

    Is there aught we hold in common with the greedy parasite
    Who would lash us into serfdom and would crush us with his might?
    Is there anything left to us but to organize and fight?
    For the union makes us strong

    It is we who ploughed the prairies, built the cities where they trade
    Dug the mines and built the workshops, endless miles of railroad laid
    Now we stand outcast and starving 'mid the wonders we have made
    But the union makes us strong

    All the world  that's owned by idle drones is ours and ours alone
    We have laid the wide foundations, built it skyward stone by stone
    It is ours, not to slave in, but to master and to own
    While the union makes us strong

    They have taken untold millions that they never toiled to earn
    But without our brain and muscle not a single wheel can turn
    We can break their haughty power gain our freedom when we learn
    That the Union makes us strong

    In our hands is placed a power greater than their hoarded gold
    Greater than the might of armies magnified a thousandfold
    We can bring to birth a new world from the ashes of the old
    For the Union makes us strong

    Notes

    Ralph Chaplin was a poet , artist, writer and organiser for the
    Industrial Workers of the World. He wrote this song in 1915
    just six months before his fellow IWW songwriter Joe Hill
    was executed. It was to become the anthem of the American
    labour movement. It goes to the tune of the American
    Civil War song John Brown's Body.Ralph Chaplin said
    "I wanted a song to be full of revolutionary
    fervour and to have a chorus that was singing and defiant"

--
Seth Finkelstein  Consulting Programmer  sethf at sethf.com  http://sethf.com
http://www10.nytimes.com/2001/07/19/technology/circuits/19HACK.html