[free-sklyarov] Please no flames for what i'm about to propos e...

Adrian Dunston adunston at jetstream.com
Wed Jul 25 14:27:01 PDT 2001

>Yesterday someone correctly, I think, observed that there are 2nd amendment

>issues here, too. Would anyone deny software can be used as a weapon?

Software cannot be used as a weapon.  The idea that it can be used in ways
similar to a rifle are incorrect and harmful to our cause.  A piece of
software is not a "digital crowbar," it is a set of written instructions
(like a recipe) that a computer can implement.  Weapons are regulated by the
US Government.  Written instructions should not be.

While you can apply software to dangerous hardware ("War Games" and "2001: A
Space Odyssey" were great movies), this does not make the software a weapon.
I that we need to call out to powerful political organizations for help, but
this particular avenue should not be explored.

-Adrian P. Dunston
__
(sourceCode == freeSpeech)
http://www.x-omega.com/shirtdept