[free-sklyarov] Counter-Terminology

Xcott Craver sacraver at EE.Princeton.EDU
Wed Jul 25 18:59:00 PDT 2001

On Wed, 25 Jul 2001, Izel Sulam wrote:

> 1) Copy controlled media
> 2) Usage controlled media
> 3) Crippled media (My suggestion)

> Comments, suggestions are very much welcome on this topic. Tell us which
> counter-term you like best, or weigh in with an alternative counter-term.

	I want to add, pre-emptively, that my problem with the term
	"copy protection" is that it is imprecise.  To me, this is not
	a question of coming up with an emotionally charged or frightening
	term for DRM, but for the "right" one.

	The reason I like something like "usage control" is that it
	makes it clear that the consumer's actions are being regulated.
	It focusses on the subject rather than the object, which we
	need to do when the subject is being screwed to protect the
	object.

	Also, usage control is relevant to just about anyone who wants
	to watch movies or listen to music or read books.  But your
	average person is not going to see that something called
	"copyright control" really applies to them.

> Thanks,
> - izel
							-S